Friday, July 15, 2011

Bye bye Borders

I'm sure some folks are happy that Borders is probably closing after "what they did" to local bookstores. But I think the departure of any bookstore is sad, and I liked Borders better than most because they had a larger inventory, were more comfortable to browse in, and had coffee and reading events for kids. And the truth is quite a few Borders, Barnes and Noble and Books-A-Million stores went into smaller markets there was little or no competition to begin with.

But it's now about economics, technology and market demand. And I'm partly to blame. I didn't think I'd be in this position, but I'm growing fond of ebooks, and there are millions like me and growing. I still love books and hanging out in bookstores--all kinds of them, but the bigger the better--but the fact is there is bound to be less of 'em. Obviously I'm a bit at odds over this. I'm fully aware that my grandkids could pick up a book one day and say, "What is this thing?" then proceed to give me funny looks when I say, "Well, uh, it's a book, you see, you take the page here and turn it..."

No comments: