Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Edy's


In college we shared a studio apartment on Channing in Berkeley, taking turns sleeping in the closet. At night we would go to Edy's on Shattuck and eat burgers and these totally addicting shakes, the kind with fudgemud at the bottom of the glass. Then we would stay up late strumming guitars and talking about whatever.

"Life is futile," was my friend's mantra. I thought it was because he still hadn't gotten over his first girlfriend. He was a smart guy... straight A's in high school, all-conference in football, even got into Cal. Things would turn around. And yet, they never did. Eventually he sort of detached himself from everyone I knew, and went away.

Over the years I've wondered about him, even thought about looking him up. But I've heard things, and I have a feeling it wouldn't be a good idea.

No comments: