Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hostage

I'm sitting at the lobby of the Paradise Pier in Disneyland, watching Disney "XD" on a large flat screen TV. Mary and everyone is in the park with our friend who we flew down to help out with the kids. I drove halfway, taking over in San Luis Obispo last night. It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but there were a couple episodes.

Joey gets amped up whenever he's off his routine and does his best to annoy the shit out of the girls. When we found out we were an hour away from Disneyland, Tanner decided to count down the rest of the way in seconds. She got up to the hundreds when Joey knocked her off her game, and she flips out. I asked Tan if she'd like me to hold Joey down so she could kick him in the nuts. I was tired and not really thinking about my choice of words, but it cheered her up. I asked Joey what he thought of that idea. It was the funniest "no" I ever heard.

We spent last night in Goleta, just north of Santa Barbara. I thought Santa Barbara was a bit stuck up, ritzy kind of place. Goleta is worse. Everything was way too clean, everyone moves like they're on lithium, and the shops and streets take up way too much space. Cities that are too clean get on my nerves. People looked at us and our road-cranky kids like we were white trash and kept a healthy distance. Strange.
I looked at the local Homes & Land while at Dennys. Who can afford to live here? What do people do for money? No clue.

So I'm waiting for my room to be ready and trying really hard not to order a beer, because I know it will knock me right out. After working eight hours before leaving home, I put another four hours in after reaching Goleta, going to bed at 3:30 am. I hardly had the strength but I promised a friend I'd look over her resume and send it to the CEO group I work with. Hope I get a couple stars on my behavior chart for that one. But right now I'd rather have a beer.

1 comment:

Allison Landa said...

Next time, venture over to Isla Vista, the student ghetto. No extraneous cleanliness there!