Sunday, November 27, 2011

Introducing the Sampler Plate

I've been aching for something meaningful to post for two months now, but I got nuthin'. Life has been reduced to novel revisions and work that actually pays. I have no complaints, except to say that everything is progressing much slower than I'd like.

What I do have is a bunch of unfinished blog posts. So in the interests of getting something up, I'm introducing The Sampler Plate.

RANT: One of my pet peeves has to do with panhandlers. But it's not the panhandlers themselves -- it's the people who complain about them.

First off, nobody I know -- and I mean nobody -- has been approached for spare change more than me. It has a lot to do with the kinds of places I frequent and the wandering, lost puppy dog look that I do little to hide. I'm not going to fine tune this argument except to say that I don't want to live in a society where strangers are not able to ask each other for money, or cigarettes, or whatever, and unless you live in downtown New York, I could not care less that your humdrum trip to Safeway or Starbucks was demolished by some poor soul with his hand out. Please find a constructive use for your ire, stay home, or move someplace where the the fascists have already won.

MUSIC: Five hot "new" albums I'm listening to for working purposes:

Venom - Black Metal
This three piece keeps the riffs simple and the focus where it belongs: Death, Satan and Hell.



Os Mutantes - Os Mutantes
Brazilian psychedelia that will move your brain in funny ways.

Steve Earle - Guitar Town
Avoided this guy for years because he was country. What a dope I was.

Sparks - Kimono My House
Such a fun album. Pre-Angst in my Pants, the brothers Mael were far more progressive, experimental and interesting.

The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow
An early concept album based on a very depressing short story that, according to some, influenced Pete Townsend to write "Tommy." Probably the most unique thing I've ever heard.

CONFESSION: I choke on my spit, a lot. Just did it again.

SHOUT OUT: To my good buddy Sean Craven, who is getting some well-deserved attention for his writing, art, and spoken word performances. Surely the world is ill-prepared for the Oaf, but the Oaf approacheth nonetheless. Read Sean's story, "Deep Blue Dreams," appearing in the Future Lovecraft anthology available for preorder in printed form here or available now via Kindle here.

2 comments:

Sean Craven said...

Thanks for the shout-out, dude. Your day is coming as well, my friend.

And next time you're over, let me play Nuggets II for you -- it's got oodles of Os Mutante's peers on it.

Lutz said...

Sean, I should've mentioned how my musical life is so much richer on account of you and Rob. It's like forgetting you have ears. Thanks man.